Thursday 15 September 2011

Lady in Waiting

What can a girl do while waiting for her other half to “pop” the question? What if she knew, almost with as much certainty as the fact that the world is round that they were meant for each other? How important, is it then for the question to be asked? The question: “Will you marry me?” If both parties have agreed that 2012 is the year to get married, if both have planned on spending the rest of their lives together, and if ones hopes and dreams for the future have already been shamelessly discussed…why then is a ring and a question so important in sealing the deal?

Those are some of the thoughts I’ve had to grapple with for the last 6 months or so of my life.  The last two years, my life has in part been filled with an array of people getting engaged, getting married, having babies and then having more babies…There are very few things that girls and boys  in their prime will talk about nowadays besides getting married, having kids, and buying a house. So, it’s not unusual that I’ve been sucked into the whole humdrum of it all. 

MR HSH and I have a deal. We’ve been together for over 3 years, madly in love for most of the time, and he’s supposed to propose before the end of this year. As the days are being crossed off one by one in my mind, I am fretting. I am fretting before our grand plan was to get married in October or November of 2012. That’s peak wedding season. I am fretting because I want a wonderful, picture perfect wedding such as the ones you see on www.stylemepretty.com. Being the snob/perfectionist/idealist that I can be with stuff like this, I am fearful that all the best stuff will be booked out by the time we get engaged. After all, Mr. HSH still has till the 31st of December to propose. However, for a lot of venues and good wedding suppliers, they would already have been booked out for peak wedding season next year. 

It all seems too shallow really. Getting married is about the union of two people and deep down I understand that. Still, I am finding it hard to part with my idea of the wedding that we have both dreamed off. The possibility is not completely gone. Shamelessly, I have emailed my favourite venues and wedding suppliers to enquire about what Saturdays they still have available next year in Oct and Nov. At this point, our preferred venue Lake House and Sault in Daylesford still had a couple of Satudays available during those two months. My favourite photographer Ben Adams who is based in Brisbane seem pretty free in Oct.  Unfortunately, my preferred hair and make up artist Lisa Carter only have two Saturdays left in October…I feel the chances of me securing her as my make up artist is minimal by the time the question is popped.  Arggh…I have to keep reminding myself that in the absence of choice, I’ll just have to leave it to fate. 

I’ve toyed around with the idea of getting married the year after in Spring (too far away), in Winter 2012 (too cold), in Autumn (possibly)…but none seem as inviting as the idea of getting married in Spring 2012. Oh well…I guess we’ll just have to wait and see how life pans out.  

Meanwhile, I should answer the first question of this post. What can a girl do while waiting for the question “Will you marry me?” to be asked. Practically, I have looked around at rings to give MR HSH an idea of what I want-Delicate, unique, art deco pieces with a sizable diamond.  I have warned him again and again that It does take several weeks to make a ring so that he can get organized and prepare in advance. I have advised him not to propose during our Fiji holiday in October in case of theft overseas. Occasionally, I have appeared somewhat nervous about wedding suppliers being booked out. In general, MR HSH has taken this all in his stride.  However, the most important thing to do, and often I have to remind myself, is to not be inpatient and trust that we will get married, and really, it doesn’t matter when or where, but ultimately that, we will.

No comments:

Post a Comment